In the heart of Houston’s River Oaks neighborhood, a new home is paying homage to a lost mid-century gem that once stood on the same site. This unique residence, designed by local architects, captures the essence of the original structure while updating it with modern amenities and sustainable features.
Remembering a Mid-Century Gem
The original home on this site was a mid-century modern masterpiece designed by renowned Houston architect, Howard Barnstone. Completed in 1952, the single-story structure featured clean lines, an open floor plan, and floor-to-ceiling windows that framed the lush greenery surrounding the property. Sadly, the home was demolished in 2019, but its legacy lives on in the new residence that now stands in its place.
Honoring the Past with Modern Design
The new home was designed by Houston-based studio, Collaborative Designworks, which set out to pay homage to the original structure while incorporating modern design elements. The result is a striking two-story residence that features a sleek, minimalist aesthetic with nods to mid-century design.
- Collaborative Designworks, a Houston-based studio, designed the new home in the heart of River Oaks neighborhood as a tribute to the lost mid-century modern masterpiece that once stood on the same site.
- The new two-story residence features a sleek, minimalist aesthetic that pays homage to mid-century design while incorporating modern elements.
- The large windows and outdoor living areas capture the essence of the original home, which also had floor-to-ceiling windows that framed the lush greenery surrounding the property.
- Collaborative Designworks preserved some of the original materials from the original home, such as the limestone pavers that now grace the driveway of the new residence.
- The new home also incorporates sustainable features, including a rainwater harvesting system, solar panels, and a high-performance building envelope that minimizes heat gain and loss, making it energy-efficient and eco-friendly.
- The interior of the home features an open floor plan that allows for a seamless transition between indoor and outdoor living spaces, while the color palette and furnishings are kept simple and neutral to showcase the surrounding natural beauty.
- The new home is a beautiful example of how modern design can pay tribute to the past while embracing the future, creating a harmonious blend of old and new.
Sustainability and Functionality Meet
In addition to its stunning design, the new home also incorporates a range of sustainable features that make it both eco-friendly and energy-efficient. These include a rainwater harvesting system, solar panels, and a high-performance building envelope that minimizes heat gain and loss. The home also features a spacious open floor plan, large windows, and outdoor living areas that take advantage of the property’s natural beauty.
Overall, this unique River Oaks home serves as a tribute to the lost mid-century gem that once stood on the site. Through thoughtful design and sustainable features, the new residence honors the past while embracing the future.