Dallas-based TForce Logistics, a freight transportation and logistics services provider and a subsidiary of TFI International, announced this week it has established a new dedicated division geared towards health care.
The objectives of the new division, entitled TForce Medical Logistics, according to the company, focuses on four key segments, including:
- Pharmacy—Support for both closed-door business-to-business, as well as business-to consumer, delivery of prescriptions as well as support for other home services and pharmacy supply chain needs;
- Laboratory—Secured, expedited transport of laboratory specimens with dedicated personnel and superior technology to provide pre-routed pickup and delivery or on-demand services;
- Hospital—Structuring and operating comprehensive solutions in support of all hospital operations, including transport and delivery of specimens, pharmaceutical, supplies, patient records and others, in a secured chain-of-custody environment; and
- Medical Devices and Supplies—Dedicated services for health care equipment and supply manufacturers and distributors for secure delivery of goods to hospitals, clinics and patient residences for prescribed home care needs
And the division’s service offerings are comprised of the following:
- Scheduled routes—providing scheduled transportation services supporting regular delivery and collection services, as well as multi-stop consolidation and delivery;
- On-demand/stat—expedited, on-demand urgent services for hospitals, labs and pharmacies supporting time-critical patient needs;
- Business to home—dedicated resources supporting retail pharmacies for delivery of prescriptions and other health care goods to consumer residences and other health care sites, such as nursing homes and rehabilitation facilities; and
- Distribution—logistics services and facilities to receive, sort, store, cross-dock and fulfill orders from health care suppliers to end-users
TForce Logistics officials said that the division’s Medical Logistics technology platforms support on-line order entry, provide real-time visibility to order status, ensure efficient scheduling and routing, and provide visibility to digital delivery confirmation records. And they also noted that TForce Medical Logistics has secured appropriate licenses and certifications for handling medical goods and supplies in support of its solutions and chain-of-custody management.
TForce Medical Logistics President Rich D’Amico provided LM with an overview of the new division in the Q&A below:
LM: What drove the need for TForce to roll out TForce Medical Logistics? How long had it been planned/in the works?
D’Amico: The evolution of the medical courier space has accelerated over the past few years. More than ever, our customers require a singular focus on their unique needs. To meet those needs, we established a separate operating structure with an experienced medical team that will allow us to continue to improve and expand our service offering within this space. At the outset, TForce Medical Logistics will be one of the largest medical courier companies in the country, as TForce Logistics has serviced this space within its general platform for a number of years. This effort has been in the works for almost a year.
LM: What are the main benefits of this new unit for customers i.e. shippers?
D’Amico: Customers in the pharmacy, laboratory, hospital as well as medical devices and supplies sectors will receive specialized service offerings from a dedicated management team and support group solely focused on their needs and the needs of their patients. Also, as healthcare market changes continue to accelerate, our dedicated team will be there to stay ahead of our customers’ needs.
LM: Did TForce previously serve medical shippers? If so, how and in what capacity?
D’Amico: TForce has served medical customers for some time. We provide the full range of medical courier services, including, scheduled routes, on-demand/stat, business to home as well as distribution for medical shippers.
LM: What are the main competitive advantages of this news from a TForce perspective?
D’Amico: TForce Logistics is an e-commerce and B2B powerhouse, with proven regional networks and a national reach model. TForce Medical Logistics allows us to provide the specialized services required in the medical space, while accessing the full resources of TForce Logistics. This combination of focused, quality health care services, and a national network, with robust IT platforms, a proven service model and national reach, provides TForce Medical Logistics with a unique competitive advantage.
About the Author
Jeff Berman, Group News Editor
Jeff Berman is Group News Editor for Logistics Management, Modern Materials Handling, and Supply Chain Management Review. Jeff works and lives in Cape Elizabeth, Maine, where he covers all aspects of the supply chain, logistics, freight transportation, and materials handling sectors on a daily basis. Contact Jeff Berman